Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Globalization influences policy

I'm in the middle of my maternity leave (our son is now 2 months old), but have started to read and think about my studies again. Was reading a paper I did before I went on leave and it made me realise how much globalization influences the way we live our lives on a daily basis, at the micro level.

Its fascinating how decisions made at the global level, at UN conferences for example influence the things we do daily. Environmental policy is probably the best example because of all the hype about carbon footprints, recycling and global warming - all issues addressed at the local level but which affect the way we live - from the shopping we do, the way we throw things away and the way we think about our next holiday.

We can no longer say that we aren't political beings - even if we dont want to be, we are all directly influenced by political decisions at the global and national level. Think about it!

No comments: